Featuring a stellar line-up of industry thought leaders, Operational Risk Asia will reflect the ebb and flow of industry trends and delve deep into everything from next-generation ORM and GRC to adaptive scenario analysis and cyber risk quantification.
Senior oprisk professionals
looking to solve and discuss key challenges in operational risk
access content and network with other professionals globally
of content covering topics from third-party risk to machine learning
OpRisk Asia will return as virtual on March 24-25, 2021, as part of OpRisk Global.
This industry event focuses on the latest trends and challenges faced by the op risk and non-financial risk professionals in the APAC region. The agenda is designed specifically for financial institutions, corporates and regulators from across Asia to discuss and learn best practice approaches on topics from conduct to cyber risk.
Learning objectives at OpRisk Asia
Define operational resilience and business continuity for your firm
Learn how to build cyber resilience in a fast-evolving landscape of threats
Prepare for the future of risk, including climate change, digititalzation and more
Ensure regional data compliance and mitigating the risk of a breach
Keep pace with AML and fraud evolution, mitigate risk and avoid fines
Get up-to-speed with the shifting environment of third party and vendor risk
Global head of IA & risk
TATA Consumer Products
Khang Nie Lee
Singapore Chief Risk Officer
LEE Khang Nie is the Head of Non Financial Risk Management for Asia Pacific (APAC). She is additionally the Chief Risk Officer for Credit Suisse AG Singapore Branch.
She has over 20 years of Financial Services experience in risk, audit and consulting.
She is a Singapore Chartered Accountant and holds a 1st Class Honours degree in Accountancy from Nanyang Technological University.
Head of Operational Risk, Asia
Nomura International (Hong Kong) Limited, Hong Kong
Global Head of Operational Risk, Asia-ex-Japan, 2019 – present
- Oversee and manage the implementation of Nomura’s global Operational Risk Framework.
- Manage a global team of 50 globally.
- Develop the firm’s risk appetite.
- Report to the Nomura Board top and emerging risks.
Head of Operational Risk Management, Asia ex-Japan, 2015 – present
- Oversee and manage the implementation of Nomura’s global Operational Risk Framework in Asia-ex Japan. The Operational Risk Management framework covers regional Wholesale, Wealth, Retail Brokerage and Asset Management businesses in over 8 countries.
- Manage team of 7.
- Provide senior management with overview of the Operational Risk profile for AEJ, highlighting top operational risks and emerging risk. Developed new methodology for identifying and reporting on Top Risk for the region that has improved regional management engagement.
- Face-off to the firm’s regulators including HK SFC, Singapore MAS as well as regulators in branch countries (India, Korea, Taiwan, Malaysia, Australia, and Thailand). Provide details on the firm’s operational risk profile and assurance around robustness of the operational risk framework.
- Oversee and participate in high profile internal investigations as member of the Internal Investigation Committee. Conduct forensic deep-dives and interviews on varied cases such as potential fraud, whistle blowing, client complaints and market abuse.
- Lead global projects on Key Risk Indicators, Risk Taxonomy and Control Framework.
Head of New Business, Asia ex-Japan, 2018 - present
- Oversee and manage the implementation of Nomura’s New Business Approval framework in Asia ex-Japan. This includes the new product approval, significant transaction approval and reputational risk committees.
- Manage team of 6 (4 Vice-Presidents and 2 Associates).
- New Business Group ensures appropriate control, governance and challenge around new business initiatives. Team reviews feasibility of new product and transactions proposals, challenges front office around key risks and mitigants, financial resource usage, reputational risk and quality of due diligence.
- Face-off to heads of business to challenge around key strategic risk and due diligence issues.
- Manage development of Approved Product List for internal and regulatory use.
Chief Administrative Officer Risk Management, Asia ex-Japan, 2015 – present
- Co-ordinate and manage annual budget submissions and investment plans and monitor spend against budget. Identify areas of cost savings.
- Manage team of 2 (1 Executive Director and 1 Associate).
- Prepare presentations for AEJ CRO for bi-annual town hall meetings, regulatory interactions and executive management presentations.
- Oversee key change projects, FinTech initiatives and remediation of control issues.
Nomura International plc, London, UK
Global New Business Division COO, 2012 – 2014
- Drafted the Group New Business Approval Policy covering Wholesale, Asset Management and Retail Divisions by working with group company executives such as Global CFO, CLO, CRO and business division management. The policy was approved by the group Board and was the first group wide policy for new business approval for the firm.
- Developed a new product and complex transaction approval process for the Global Wholesale business by working with business leadership in Global Markets and Investment Banking. Created procedures, led IT development of a workflow tool and an approved product database and developed global training. Resulted in a globally consistent approach to new product approval and increased efficiency in approval of cross-border business.
EMEA Head of New Business, 2011 – 2014
- Implemented new product and transaction approval in the EMEA business by managing a team of 7 (1 ED, 3 VPs, 3 Associates). Improved efficiency and control around the approval processes by documenting procedures and reducing bureaucracy as measured by improved turn-around times, positive feedback from business lines and reduction in operational risk events or errors as a result of new product launches.
- Led interaction with and managed regulatory audits conducted by Bank of England (PRA), UK Financial Conduct Authority, Bank of Japan and JFSA. Successfully provided assurance to regulators of the robustness of new product approval process as measured by limited remediation points during a period when regulators were requesting external audits on all focus areas.
- Improved oversight of risk and returns of new and complex products by developing product back-testing, whereby revenue generated by products were assessed after one year. Presented findings to regional Board and business leadership, resulting in certain non-performing businesses lines being discontinued or altered. As a result, management was provided assurance that business lines were accountable for introducing new products, processes and operational risks to the firm.
Senior Risk Manager, Operational Risk Management, 2009 – 2011
- Implemented the Operational Risk Framework in Global Markets and Investment Banking following acquisition of Lehman Brothers EMEA business. Worked with business line COOs and managed operational risk team of 3 individuals to develop the risk and control self-assessments by desk, implement key risk indicators and operational risk event investigation and reporting. Operational Risk Framework was rolled-out to the businesses lines within 6 months of integration.
- Initiated and developed reporting for monthly risk and control meetings by regional business line which reviewed the operational risk profile front to back with representatives from all corporate departments, resulting in improved ownership of operational risk. Expanded regional meetings to global product lines by working with Global Heads of Trading and corporate departments, coordinating with regional ORM and developing a cross-regional aggregated risk profile. Meetings were led by head of business, demonstrating ownership of Operational Risk by first line of defense.
- Created front-to-back trade process maps by aggregating information between IT, Operations, and trading. Documented key controls and manual processes, which provided senior management with detailed view on infrastructure requirements.
Deloitte & Touche, London, UK
Manager, Financial Services Advisory, 2006 - 2009
- Advised clients on implementation of credit, market and operational risk management frameworks; advised clients on implementation of Basel II and CRD requirements. Clients included leading universal banks, investment banks, asset managers, hedge funds and regulators.
- Advised on the integration of the operational risk management function with corporate security and technology risk for a leading European universal bank. Assisted in integrating Sarbanes-Oxley procedures into operational risk functions.
- Developed credit risk policies and procedures for a US bank starting a new deposit taking and lending institution in the UK.
- Project managed implementation of transaction reporting tool for a leading Swiss investment bank.
- Assisted a European brokerage in developing counterparty, operational and credit risk management around its margin lending business.
- Developed and implemented the internal capital adequacy assessment process (ICAAP) for more than 10 banks, investment managers, securities brokers and asset managers.
- Developed a post-merger target operating model and project plan for the integration of global Compliance functions of two leading banking groups.
- Clients included UBS, Lloyds, ING, Barclays, RBS and various investment managers.
Export-Import Bank of the United States, Washington, DC, USA
International Business Development Office, 2002 - 2004
- Conducted marketing and sales activities to increase Ex-Im Bank financing in southeast Europe. Oversaw an increase in business activity by 90% and 75% in 2002 and 2003, year on year.
- Arranged and structured and trade finance with banks, private companies, and governments. Arranged balance sheet loans, letters of credit, secured lending, and project financing.
- Analyzed financial statements and cash flow projections to determine creditworthiness of counterparties and projects.
- Organized and implemented various marketing events, including Ex-Im Bank’s “Southeast and Central Europe Regional Conference” in Bled, Slovenia, which drew 250 attendees from regional governments, central banks, businesses and financial institutions.
Jemy K. Soegiarto
SVP, Operational & Enterprise Risk Head
Jemy is the Head of Market, Balance Sheet and Operational Risk of Bank UOB Indonesia and responsible for market, balance sheet, operational risk (including fraud and technology risks), and enterprise risk units. Jemy has more than 20 years of experience in the banking and held roles across risk management and internal audit at some of Indonesian large banks, including BCA, Danamon, CIMB Niaga, and Maybank Indonesia.
Chief Risk Officer
Sinar Mas Land
Global Head of Country Risk and Asia FIG Risk
Head of Geopolitical Risk (Asia-Pacific)
As HSBC’s Head of Geopolitical Risk for Asia-Pacific, Michael provides advice to senior stakeholders on issues affecting HSBC’s interests across the Asia-Pacific. He joined HSBC in 2015 as the Regional Head of Strategic Analysis within the bank’s Financial Crime Risk function, where he led a team focussing on countering the threat of sanctions evasion, terrorism financing and money laundering.
Prior to joining HSBC, Michael worked as an intelligence analyst and policy officer for the Australian Department of Defence and Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. During this time he provided strategic and operational risk assessments to senior Australian government and military officials on a variety of topics, and deployed as an advisor to NATO Headquarters in Afghanistan in 2012. Michael also lectured, tutored and published in international relations and United States foreign policy at the Australian National University.
Michael holds degrees in International Relations and Asian Studies from the Australian National University. He is a Mandarin linguist, and has graduated from the Beijing Foreign Studies University and the People’s Liberation Army University of Foreign Languages.
Chief Risk Officer (CRO)
Get All Myanmar Co.
Soon Kit Tham
Enterprise Resilience Officer
An internationally recognized financial services expert, Soon Kit offers deep and wide experience accumulated over 15 years in the financial services sector. Bringing a global perspective enriched with grounded experience, he is currently Enterprise Resilience Officer at BNY Mellon assuring the firm broad business and operational resilience across multiple lines of business.
Prior to this, he was Risk Vice President of Fullerton Fund Management and Wolters Kluwer’s Asia-Pacific Risk Practice Director guiding regional risk and financial practices for its software clients. At OCBC Bank Group, Soon Kit was managing the risk of Global Treasury, Investment Banking, OCBC Securities and Bank of Singapore. He complements his expertise with international advisory experience garnered at financial software firm Misys / Finastra where he led the risk management teams to solve broader subjects of banking risk with financial firms, banks, regulators in Europe and Asia. Prior to this, Soon Kit provided consulting at Moody’s Analytics.
Recognized for his practical expertise by regional banking conferences and professional media, Soon Kit has contributed many live and case interviews to breaking news developments and industry best practice conferences.
Graduating with honors in Quantitative Finance from the National University of Singapore, he is also a certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist and an Energy Risk Professional.
Global chief information security officer
Regional chief risk officer
Urban is a Swiss national, born in Basel/Switzerland. After graduating from Basel University with a degree in law, he started his banking career as a trainee with Swiss Bank Corp (SBC) in Basel in 1986. Following various assignments in Basel and Geneva in different areas of credit risk, he became Regional Head of Credit Risk Control for Private Banking in Geneva. Following the merger of SBC with UBS, Urban was appointed Regional Head of Credit Risk Control in New York for Private Banking Americas in 2000 and in Singapore 2005 for Wealth Management APAC. After a “gap year” with UBS in Switzerland in 2009, he joined Barclays in 2010 are Regional Chief Risk Officer for Barclays Wealth Asia again based in Singapore covering credit risk, operational risk and governance. Following the sale of Barclays’s Wealth business in 2016, Urban was recruited as Regional Chief Risk Officer for EFG Bank in Singapore in 2017 covering credit, operational and market risk.
Share Your Expertise
Engage with and make an impact on potential customers through a speaking slot or panel participation.
Get Your Brand Seen
Showcase your brand to all conference delegates with an exhibition stand and many different signage and branding opportunities.
Connect with Leaders
Make personal business connections with handpicked senior decision-makers as an exclusive sponsor of round table, breakfast briefing, lunch or after-event drinks.
Receive delegate contact details to sustain business relationships post-event.
Be Part of the Action
Network and build relationships with targeted senior industry professionals with conference delegate places for both your colleagues and clients.
Reach an even larger audience through a presence on our event websites, social media channels and marketing campaigns.